Is Your Home Ready for Fall and Winter?
According to the Farmer’s Almanac, fall and winter in 2020 will be “cold and snowy in the north, drought in the west, and everything crazy in between!” While weather in Southwest Georgia can certainly be crazy, if you’ve lived here long enough you know one thing is sure – you need to be prepared for whatever nature throws at you. Whether you have a wood burning fireplace, gas logs or a propane fueled heating system, Modern Gas knows home heating and now is the time to get prepared!Wood Burning Fireplaces
Traditional woodburning fireplaces need to be cleaned each year to remove dangerous buildup of creosote that can lead to a chimney fire. It is also important to have your chimney inspected to ensure brick and mortar joints are in good repair. Modern Gas provides both of these services by a certified chimney sweep who utilizes the areas only camera inspection system.Gas Log Fireplaces
While there’s nothing like the convenience of gas logs, they do require annual maintenance.
- Replace Remote Control Batteries. Sometimes, you need a quick shut-off. Don’t be caught with dead remote!
- Make the glass sparkle and shine. To keep those beautiful flames in focus, clean your glass, inside and out, with glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Be sure you wait at least 30 minutes after cleaning to turn on your logs!
- Let the pros inspect and clean. Cleaning a set of vented logs are fine for you to DIY as long as you use the manufacturer’s instructions – but non-vented logs need to be cleaned and inspected by a member of the Modern Gas service team. Even brushing non-vented logs can result in safety risk for the non-professional.
- Be sure your tank is filled. Because your use of gas logs can vary, so can your propane levels. Keep an eye on your propane tank and call us when you see it’s getting low. Did you know there’s a gadget we can install on your tank that allows you to read your tank gauge on a phone app? Call us to learn more about this useful tool.
If your home is fueled by propane, it’s important to have your tank inspected and filled by our service technicians. Usage increases beginning in the fall months with the use of home heating and increased cooking for the holidays. Don’t run out of propane! Let us help you be proactive.Outdoor Heating
Outdoor propane heaters and firepits allow you to enjoy the outdoors all year long! It’s easy to forget they need annual maintenance as well.
- Uncover and Clean. Debris and cobwebs have probably built up around your unit while being stored for the summer. Gently vacuum them off and wipe down the unit with a damp microfiber cloth.
- Don’t forget to Fill your tank. Make sure the propane cylinder or bottle is properly connected and filled for use.
Modern Gas makes it easy to get your home heating ready for cooler temps. Call us today and make a service appointment with one of our trained professionals. We will make sure you are up and running to safely enjoy the cozy months ahead!